Monday, July 12, 2010

Los Dos Davids -- Introduction

(Lee Folk, a 2010 graduate of RMU's nursing program, is filing these posts from his trip to Nicarauga. To read about Lee's previous trips there, click here and here.)

Dear Friends,

I’m writing to all of you from my seat on the wing of Flight 1774, currently somewhere over the Gulf of Mexico. This morning at Pittsburgh International, a crew of twelve people embarked for Managua, Nicaragua. Some of you know about the nature of this trip already. Some of you don’t. If you are in the dark about the project until now, I promise to fill you in shortly. Just before we boarded for takeoff, the chief marketing officer at RMU, Kyle Fisher, asked me if I would be willing to compose a blog of our trip similar to the ones I wrote throughout my first two trips to the country. Though I was planning on chronicling the progress of our crew long before Kyle requested me to, it’s encouraging to have the endorsement of my alma mater. This is my official introduction to that blog. It will be sent out in installments under the title Los Dos Davids. Work has already begun on Day One!

If you are receiving this email, you are one of the many friends and colleagues who have contributed so much support to our university’s work in the barrios of Managua, Nicaragua. Whether you are a part of the Robert Morris community or part of my amazing church family, I want to personally extend my sincere appreciation to each and every one of you who has invested in my academic endeavors, particularly over the past year. I do not say this nearly often enough, but I would never be sitting on this plane tonight if it were not for all of your love and support. If I had the resources, I would charter a plane for all of us to lift off and go see this amazing place together. But I’m afraid I am currently a broke college grad. I do have a pen and paper, though, and there are fresh batteries in the camera. So I will work with what I have and send snapshots of the adventure home as best as I can. Keep an eye on your inbox and keep us in your prayers over the next week. We all appreciate it!

All right, I have to go now – it’s almost time to land! Stay tuned!

Sincerely yours,

David Lee Folk, RN

No comments: